Tuesday, March 31, 2015

My best show yet

Greetings from Baton Rouge,

Hi, everyone, I’m extremely pleased that the five of you musicians on this email (plus my daughter, Maureen, who is a professional event planner and director of business development for a major corporation based in Dallas) have signed on to the live music party I’m arranging on Sept 11, 2015 in connection with the 45th Reunion of my high school class, Athens High ‘70! 

To get you oriented, here’s an overview of the event. Five years ago I decided to hold a pre-party for my class’s 40th featuring a band assembled for the occasion. This included old Athens friends James “Peanut” Lester, Charles Burgess, and an associate of theirs on drums, vocals, bass and keyboards, and another out of town friend, an amazingly accomplished singer-guitarist-composer-producer and friend (Marc “Coop” Cooper http://www.coopdevillerecords.com/), as the front man. We rehearsed minimally and it went very well overall despite limited resources and some deficiencies in the equipment we had to work with. In fact, people in my class said the party was better than the actual reunion, so I got a call from a Class of 70 Reunion organizer asking if I would like to do the same thing this year. As it happens, I've been looking for an opportunity to put on a truly special live music event in Athens.

I began by making a wish list of musicians who are both accomplished and pleasant to hang out with and, lo and behold, I got all of my first choices! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Some of you know one another but for everyone’s information, you are: Dave Stammer (former Zambo Flirt currently living in Dallas, TX) on bass, and Athens musicians David Herndon on second lead guitar and Cal Hale on drums and singers Dana Downs from Athens and Jerry Hotard of Baton Rouge, with whom I play in Rockin’ Rouge, our little cover band. The aggregated talent we have here is humbling. That includes my daughter, Maureen Scott, who, as you will see, has a tremendous gift for events and people.

For the Sept 11 event, I have in mind a format of 3 sets in 3 hours at an upscale venue. Maureen has already identified and contacted several promising places. The songs and set lists will be put together in consultation with all of you with the goal of playing audience-friendly music you like and enjoy performing. Given the significance of the date, I want to play some non-partisan USA-themed songs such as Chuck Berry’s Back in the USA, I won’t back down (Tom Petty), ROCK in the USA (John Mellencamp), The Star Spangled Banner a la Jimi, Livin’ in the USA (Steve Miller Band) for example. I have plans for doing it up in style, which I’ve probably mentioned to everyone, so I won’t go into that except to say Maureen is going to coordinate the specifics and you will all be paid for your efforts.

I will be in Athens between next Sunday evening April 5 and Friday afternoon, April 10 (and about once a month after that). My time will be very flexible; and, I would like to get together with Dave Herndon and Dana during this visit to kick song selections around and discuss how we can prepare ahead of time so that the show can be nailed down in a few practice sessions the week of the party. Let me know if and when you two are available. Cal would also be welcome to join us if you wish to. I will do the same thing with Jerry since I see him regularly; and, I’ll be getting together on it with Dave Stammer at the end of April in Austin where we’ll be taking in a show featuring Jeff Beck and ZZ Top! Once we’ve got a working list of songs, I will distribute information on musical arrangements (lyrics, tabs and rough demos on mp3 as needed). Cal will be the easiest person to work in because he’s that good and he doesn’t have to worry what key we’re in; but, I plan to keep everyone posted regularly by email when there is something to report.

Please stay in touch with questions, comments, concerns and creative suggestions. The idea is to have an evening of fun entertaining ourselves and our friends doing something we love to do and your input into the show is important.

Keeping it rockin’,

Owen






No comments: