Thursday, May 21, 2015

Symbolism of the dream

Like all human experience, dreams are fleeting. To make them last longer, we write down what we remember, filtering the memories through the cognitive grid of consciousness. Then we may reflect on them and look for what meaning they may hold.

I believe Jung was correct in viewing the images of dreams as manifestations of personal and universal symbols. Lauren to me represents the priceless core of personal creative spirit I carry in my being, as we all do. Jenny, driving the car, is my rational intellect, trying to get me from one mundane place to the next. I am a passenger, going along with the flow, observing my life without directing it. In my hurry to keep moving, I focus on the unimportant luxury of sitting in the front seat and recklessly allow the part of me that gives my life passion and color to be flung to the side of the road like so much litter. Only then do I realize what's important and am I activated to do everything I can to keep the spirit alive.

I remember the image of Lauren at the bottom of the pond had a serene, diaphonous appearance, as if she were sprawled out across a comfortable mattress sleeping peacefully. She was simply dormant, waiting for me to remember her and bring her back to the life on the surface.


No comments: