Sunday, February 24, 2019

Toward a live streaming concert

Better This Way- part of a trial video I made today of a short set of my songs testing sound and camera settings for a future streaming live concert series I'm planning. Lining up other musicians to perform with me isn't feasible at present, so my plan is 1) to record back-up tracks of my songs (guitars, bass, and, percussion) and 2) to play along with them, a technique I call "self-karaoke." Beyond writing the songs, creating each of those tracks is a matter of many hours of playing the various parts, choosing percussion loops from a sound library, and mixing all of them on my MacBook until at last they satisfy my ears. Playing guitar and singing live with the tracks is fun but it's tricky getting the sound clear and balanced: for that, I'm trying out a number of different methods of playing the tracks through speakers in my studio. To that, add setting up all my gear, operating the video camera (currently my Android phone), and coordinating the entire process single-handedly in hopes of ending up with a video good enough to share with my friends. Finally, there's getting through my own songs without hitting the wrong chord while singing somewhat in tune. When I can do all of that consistently, I'll be ready for a streaming live concert! Stay tuned...

No comments: