Thursday, February 18, 2021

Life and death on Planet Earth (Facebook comment on the death of Rush Limbaugh)

I think of myself and each of us as an amazing (to me), time-limited physical system, a member of a species of animals that has somehow managed to generate language, self-awareness, knowledge and technology. Sending spaceships to Mars, for example, is quite an accomplishment. I have concluded my identify "Owen Scott" only exists as a sort of fictional character in a shared story that serves to organize our species for survival and procreation. What happens when my body's time runs out? I suspect "Owen Scott" is gone and the story goes on, so it's best not to be too attached to ones identity. I read that the Sufis have a motto "Die before you die." Easier said than done but a path to freeing oneself to focus on bringing out our best and making the most of our time here.

No comments: