Thursday, January 28, 2021

The dreams keep on coming

 I slept pretty well last night, waking up once around 1:15am to urinate and then getting back to sleep easily without getting my thought process activated. I woke up much later from a long, detailed dream. At the opening, I was in a hospital bed after undergoing some kind of minor surgery. A 30-ish hispanic woman was in another bed on my right. A doctor I knew passed through to make a call from a phone on the far wall and he inquired about my outcome. I think I gave him a short briefing on the status of my retinal issues. After he left, the woman abruptly got out from under her sheets and crawled over my bed to disconnect herself from monitors on the wall to my left. She was unselfconsciously naked but I didn't find her underdeveloped body sexually attractive- I was concerned for her about the inadvisability of what she was doing. A female friend or relative had come into the room and they left AMA. 

I thought this was a bad idea but I then got up and did the same thing. I somehow was transported to a book reading taking place in a wooded rural setting inside a building like one might find at a summer camp, About 40 chairs were arranged for the full audience and the event was in progress when I arrived. Mary Lou was there. I was explaining what happened and I mentioned that Frank Gresham had helped me escape from the hospital. I had trouble remembering his name and it took several tries to say "Frank."

While I was sitting in the audience dressed in a suit, I noticed blood dripping from a surgical wound around my ear or the side of my head. It was getting on a tie I was wearing. I was concerned about the health implications, the reactions of other people, and ruining my clothes and thought I should go back to the hospital to get it checked out, as I had apparently left prematurely. I started away from the event in a car but the dirt roads were confusing. Then I found myself on foot unable to determine where I was or how to proceed. Some people standing around indicated that something was down a slope beneath a nearby bridge. I tried to call Mary Lou on my cell phone but I had difficulty getting the number buttons to work as the phone kept changing in ways that made it impossible because some of the numbers disappeared and then it fell apart in my hands, I was thinking to myself the situation didn't make sense and wondered what was going on. At that point, I woke up and immediately realized, to my relief, it was a dream. 

The dream echoed themes of a long series of similar anxiety nightmares that had elements of my bad experiences with psychedelic drugs (i.e., I'm in Hell).  I wasn't suffering physical pain or threat but rather I was simply stuck in a state of lonely confusion. The dysfunctional metamorphosis of the cell phone has appeared in several previous dreams, always when I'm trying to call Mary Lou for help. 

What does this dream say about me? 

No comments: