Saturday, September 4, 2021

I woke with a song in my head...

Much like the experience described in Wings of the Muse, this happens every so often.  Both tune and lyrics started happening in a surprisingly involuntary manner with the kernel of an idealized love object song emerging in my head almost instantaneously. The initial words were

It doesn't matter if you love me/
It doesn't matter what you do/
It doesn't matter you're a thousand miles away/
My heart belongs to you

There was also a melody that went along with them, like something out of the British Invasion. After being up for a few hours, I wrote some additional lyrics in my head; and later still, I got a guitar out and started kicking around chord changes to fit the melody, eventually coming up with a pretty good provisional verse structure which I recorded using the Photo Booth app on this MacBook (an easy way to record a rough idea).

The strangest thing to me is the idealized romanticism of the lyrics. To begin with, I've only written one straight up love song, You don't know my heart, in my entire life. This will make two. I also felt detached from and ambivalent about the emerging theme, as if it were an expression of a somewhat disowned dimension of my psyche. But because of how it emerged so organically, I've felt the need to continue working on it. 

For many years, I've disliked songs with the theme of 'I want you, I need you, I must have you in my life' much less 'Please take me back, I can't stand the pain of losing you" (in short, the singer begging to be loved) of which there are probably thousands that have been recorded by reputable artists (although, to be honest, I have a sentimental attachment to the early Beatles songs and others from my youth (e.g., Walk away, Renee) along these lines). In any case, the one I'm working on has the opposite theme: 

It doesn't matter to me if I have you or not or even what you think or feel about me. I just love you. 

I want the song to express a mature thought recognizing the importance of our having love objects without giving that person the dubious privilege of having the power to make or break our happiness and acceptance.

It doesn't matter if you see me/
or that you really understand/
It doesn't matter if you're with somebody else/
My heart is in your hand. 

I'm not satisfied with the second half of the verse, particularly the final line. I don't like the implication of the love object having power over my fate. My conscious idea is that she doesn't even need to know about her place in my heart. The song is a work in progress and I'll have to work all of these issues out.  Or not.

No comments: