Saturday, March 16, 2024

My visit with Lauren in Pittsburgh

I'm on my way home now, currently in a 4 hours layover at Washington-Reagan Airport. Cutting to the chase, I had a wonderful weeklong visit. Lauren assigned me the third floor bedroom in her house along with the bathroom and studio room on the same floor. Her friends Travis and Ira stay at her house regularly along with their three cats and a corgi named Ama. I had only had brief contact with them prior to this visit. Ira was away in Chicago for the first few days. Travis is a very kind and considerate person as well as being very intelligent and thoughtful. He works for the USPS as a letter carrier.  Travis prepared some very tasty vegan dishes for us several times.  I got Lauren and Travis to practice singing "She loves you," which I'm working on for the Silver Moondogs. We also sang "Futz said July" which is a fabulous song by the defunct Mobile, Alabama band Pain. Jenny first heard it when she was attending ASMS in Mobile. The song is extremely clever and funny as well as ridiculously catchy. Ira is also a kind, intelligent, thoughtful individual. They are the only person I've known who uses They/Them pronouns and it was difficult for me to overcome a lifetime of socialization and to use them consistently. I told them I respect their choices and was trying to reflect that in referring to Ira as they and them. I started to write "referring to her as..." which would defeat the purpose entirely. 

Lauren and I started watching Season One of Only Murders in the Building,  an excellent comedy series starring Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez and finished it last night. We started the 2009 film Watchmen this morning after going out to breakfast at a Square Cafe near the Google offices in a former Nabisco factory.  I saw Watchmen on TV not long after it was released and remembered it as one of my favorite movies ever.  I'd forgotten a lot but I saw why I liked it so much. 

No comments: