Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Lockdown update

I ended up canceling the All Original Music livestream I planned for yesterday evening at 7pm local time after announcing it on Facebook and Instagram. I had developed a long, 25-song set list covering most of my songwriting career from the 1970s through the present. It's an ambitious plan and one I feel good about.

I had started rehearsing the songs after lunch, not giving myself enough time to be well prepared. However, I was pleased with how I performed running through the first 11 songs using my Gibson acoustic and blue Mexican Fender Stratocaster guitars. I planned to switch to my Fender twin humbucker Strat tuned to open G for Mystr Treefrog Road Trip and Time to go home. Things bogged down at that point, first because I needed to put a shoulder strap on the Strat. This didn't go smoothly due to the rigidity of the leather preventing the metal knob on the guitar from being inserted through the holes on the only good strap I could find. I finally solved that problem but I was beginning to get tired and edgy. I've had fairly low and inconsistent energy levels during the time we've been cooperating with the Governor's shelter at home order. Then, when I tried the two songs, I wasn't happy with the guitar tone, especially on Time to go home and my playing was sloppy on both. At that point, about 5pm, a thunderstorm commenced meaning the show would have to be moved indoors. I decided right then to call the livestream show off.

Canceling was a good decision as there was no way I would be ready and the storm intensified progressively producing a torrent of rain. Cody and Maureen have plans to visit their friends Chip and Megan tonight so doing it today wasn't an option. In any case, I need to practice the second half of the set list and get comfortable with doing the entire thing in a simulated concert. My intention is to work on that while Maureen and Cody are in Dallas. Help me, O Muse, get my act together on this!

No comments: