Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Another discombobulation dream

Despite being in a comfortable and secure situation in real life, I continue to have recurring themes of confusion and insecurity in my dreams. The latest came after I went back to sleep around 7am this morning.

I was with members of Rockin' Rouge when they got an opportunity to perform at a concert event in New Orleans. I felt excited and somehow thought it would be accepted for me to play with them, even though I'm no longer a member. It occurred to me someone in the music industry might be impressed by my original songs and offer me further opportunities.  

The gig was taking place in an indoor concert hall (but not the Saenger). The venue had multiple performance halls. The band was setting up and I realized I had not brought a guitar. Someone found a Gibson SG for me to play but I had also forgotten to bring an amp or an effects unit. The band was a combination of familiar and unfamiliar members including Robert "Shug" Thomas from Athens and two male singers. Someone who resembled Rusty Weaver was behind a sound board but I wasn't certain it was him. Then I found out the set list had been completely revamped since I left the band and did not include any songs I knew. It was clear I couldn't step in and play so I volunteered to remove myself and joined the audience. 

The band was set up in a balcony above the seats below. They started playing and the only person the audience could see was the lead singer who stepped out to the edge of the balcony. I didn't recognize the song although someone in the crowd started applauding approvingly. I left the auditorium for some reason and when I attempted to return, I accidentally went into a hall where a classical music concert was taking place. I realized this and ran from the back to a front exit quickly past audience and ensemble feeling embarrassed and concerned I was disrupting the concert. 

Next, I found myself in a sports arena where a hockey game was in progress. I wandered around looking for the exit and went into a kitchen area by another mistake. Finally, I got outside looking for the street where I had parked my car hours earlier only to find myself in a paved back lot of some sort. I doubled back and eventually found the street but instead of the commercial district I expected, it was an unfamiliar blue collar African-American neighborhood. I felt somewhat unsafe and after walking about a block, again turned back and went into the venue building,.There, I saw a younger man and woman talking and I approached the man from behind to ask for help. I tapped him on the shoulder causing a thin gold chain with a small pendant of gold and diamonds, possibly fake, to break and fall to the ground, The man walked away seemingly indifferent to leaving his necklace. I picked it up and looked at the pieces for a moment. Then, I noticed a group of five or six young white women were sitting on some steps appearing somewhat dejected. Intuitively I knew they were sad because they couldn't afford to go shopping for luxury items. I approached them and said something to that effect and then offered to give each of them money to go shopping if they helped me find my car. They seemed responsive to the offer at which time I awoke.

No comments: