Monday, August 9, 2021

MY NBA fixation

 I'm making a separate entry about NBA basketball. I followed the playoffs supporting the Milwaukee Bucks because of my favorite player, Jrue Holiday, who was traded from the Pelicans last summer. He turned out to be the "missing piece" the Bucks needed as they made it to the Finals and beat the Phoenix Suns in six games. Two days later, Jrue and Khris Middleton along with Devin Booker of the Suns flew to Tokyo to join the US Olympic Men's Team. Team USA had gotten off to a shaky start while the Finals were still in progress, losing exhibition games to Nigeria and Australia before beating Spain. Bradley Beal, a scoring star, tested positive for COVID and had to drop out before the team flew out. Veteran Kevin Love quit at the same time, citing a nagging injury. Going into action as soon as the 3 finalists arrived, jetlagged from their long flight together, Team USA lost their first game to France. They then went on to win four straight earning a rematch with France in the Gold Medal game. This they won. My Bucks guys experienced the height of success, an NBA championship and Olympic Gold Medal, in a three week period. I realize it's all a series of games but it was satisfying. I've spent considerable waking time through these series and up until today reading articles, watching videos and viewing the games themselves. It's been a bit of an obsession. So, what's it about?  

I'll make a quick statement or two and perhaps come back to edit and expand on my thoughts. I admire the skills, dedication, determination and the character of my favorite players including the stars of the Olympic team- Kevin Druant, Draymond Green, Jrue, Khris, Book, Bam, Jason Tatum, Zach LaVine and Damian Lillard. I watched a five part Peacock documentary "For Ball and Country" that showed the pressure and urgency of the brief period the team had to get organized and compete under Coaches Gregg Popovitch, Steve Kerr, Lloyd Price and James Wright. The players were motivated to represent the USA and to succeed. They exuded camaraderie and respect for one another, the coaches and their opponents. Prior to the Olympics I saw the same things in the Bucks. Both teams, players and coaches, came under intense scrutiny and criticism and both answered by winning and achieving their highest goals. They inspired me.

No comments: