Tuesday, August 25, 2020

On the road with the Zambo Flirts!

The 2nd time the Zambo Flirts had an out of town gig c. 1972, a young wannabe promoter got us into a club in Savannah. He thought we were going to be the next Rolling Stones which of course played into our rockstar fantasies. We played well to a small crowd and left the venue in high spirits. This became more literally true as Conner, David and I spent an hour getting drunker in our cheap hotel room. The inspiration struck us to drive to a Krispy Kreme donut shop we had passed on the main drag so we piled into Conner's Monte Carlo and I drove us to the place because I was the best at DWI (which I prided myself on). After munching some donuts, we headed back around 2am and on the way, I noticed a patrol car had gotten behind us. This made me a bit nervous so I started concentrating very hard on driving steadily and minding the speed limit. It seemed to be taking forever to reach the motel and I was becoming progressively more anxious, expecting to get pulled over at any moment and hauled off to the city jail. Finally, I couldn't stand it any longer. On an impulse, I signalled and made a right turn into what appeared to be an upscale subdivision. I had no idea what I was going to do next but to my supreme relief, the cops kept going straight and I was off the hook!

1 comment:

newly said...

more Zambo stories. write a screenplay. doesn’t have to be totally true, just good natured and funny.